I am currently Assistant Professor of Political History at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam.
After completing my PhD in Modern European History at the University of Pavia (2011), I have been Fulbright Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington DC; visiting scholar at the NYU\’s Centre for European and Mediterranean Studies ; post-doctoral fellow at the University of Bologna and at the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris 3.
Prior to my appointment at VUA, I was Teaching Fellow at the University of Edinburgh (2017-2019).
– Atlantica. Relazioni euro-americane, 1945-2016, (Atlantica. Euro-American relations, 1945-2016), Carocci, Roma (publication foreseen in 2022)
– Un ponte sull’Atlantico. Il “Programma di visitatori” e la diplomazia pubblica della Comunità europea negli anni Settanta (A Bridge on the Atlantic. “The Visitors Program” and the EC Public Diplomacy in the 1970s), Il Mulino, 2014
Selected articles and essays (peer-reviewed Journals)
– “For the Soul of Europe. Jacques Delors’s Narrative Battle against Reaganomics”, in “The History of the United States in Italy: Generations in Dialogue”, USAbroad. Journal of American History and Politics, vol. 3 No. 1S (2020): Special Issue, pp. 127-137
– “An Uplifting Tale of Europe. Jacques Delors and the contradictory quest for a European Social Model in the Age of Reagan”, Journal of Transatlantic Studies, June 2018, Volume 16, No. 3, pp. 203-221
– “Integrazione europea e relazioni transatlantiche, 1969-1975: alcune note sul dibattito storiografico” (European Integration and Transatlantic Relations, 1969-1975: Some notes on the historiographical debate), in Ricerche di Storia Politica, Il Mulino, No. 1/2014, pp. 41–54
– “Building bridges across the Atlantic: the European Union Visitors Program. A case study for Public Diplomacy and the transatlantic relationship in the Seventies”, International History Review, 2013, Vol. 35 (5): 925–942
In Collective Volumes:
– “Il Rispecchiamento: Europa e America nel XX secolo”, in Marc Lazar, Mariuccia Salvati and Loredana Sciolla (eds.), Enciclopedia italiana Treccani, Vol. III, « Culture e società », Treccani, Rome, 2019, pp. 617-625
– “Rethinking the historiography of transatlantic relations in the Cold War years: The U.S., Europe and the process of European integration” in M. Vaudagna (ed.), Reinstating Europe in American History in a Global Context, Otto, Turin, 2015, pp. 71–95 (Winner of the TSA-CUP Book Prize, 2016)
– “Le PVCE : les relations extérieures de la CE comme vecteur d’identité” (The ECVP: external relations of the European Community as a tool of identity building), in G. Laschi (ed.), The European Community and the World. A Historical Perspective, Peter Lang, Bruxelles, (2014), pp. 81 – 93
– “Transatlantic Relations beyond the Iron Curtain: Eastern Europe between the United States and the European Union”, in S. Bianchini (ed.), Self-determination and Sovereignty: from historical legacies to the EU external role, Longo Editore, Ravenna, 2013, pp. 233–250
Non-peer reviewed Journals:
– “Europa e Stati Uniti. Le prospettive delle relazioni transatlantiche nell’era Biden-Harris”, Rivista Il Mulino, Numero 513 _ 01/2021, pp. 116-125
– “Governing a commodified culture in the 1980s. Jack Lang, the U.S. and the European exception”, in Storia e Futuro, Laboratorio, No. 44, June 2017
– “Narrating Social Europe. The search for progress in the “Age of Delors”, Delors Institute, policy paper 185 http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/promouvoireuropesociale-bitumi-ijd-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok