Università degli Studi di Firenze - Università di Siena Visiting Positions: Collège de France; Université Paris Est - Créteil (October - December 2023)
Daniele Curci is currently doing his PhD research (tutor Prof. Massimiliano Guderzo) at the Universities of Florence and Siena, with a project about the propaganda songs of Woody Guthrie. In particular, the project deals with Guhtrie's relationship with the civil rights movement and gender issues. Part of the project looks at the position of Guthrie within the US political discourse and how his art can be sees as an instrument of cultural diplomacy.
From September 2022 to January 2023 Curci holds a visiting position at the Collège the France and at the Université Paris Est - Creteil (research center IMAGER, working group CIMMA). During the stay Curci attended some seminars at the L’Institut de recherche stratégique de l'École militaire (IRSEM). In Paris Curci is resident at the Fondation des Etats-Unis in the Cité internationale universitaire - he his member of the "Club des chercheurs."
Curci has three scientific publications to his credit, he took part in some academic conferences, he contributed to doctoral teaching (2023: Amish, Christian Right and GOP vote). Before starting his PhD, he collaborated with the Domus Mazziniana Pisa, a historical institute, and worked extensively as a journalist and analyst, with three publications on "Aspenia", dealing with many topics, but with a focus on social issues, foreign affairs and defense. Between September 2019 to the summer of 2020 Curci was involved in an informal project of history and anthropology at the University of Pisa under the supervision of Professor Fabio Dei.
Under the supervision of Professors Arnaldo Testi and Arturo Marzano Curci obtained his master's degree in History of International Relations at the University of Pisa in 2018 (110/110 cum laude) with a research thesis dedicated to the influence exercised by the Cold War on the relations between the police and the US military - i.e. militarization of the police and army employment. To broaden is competence about this topic, Curci did an Erasmus Traineeship at the Sorbonne in Paris (2018). In 2018 Curci cofounded the web portal "L'Eclettico". In 2017 he attended a Jean Monnet course on the sources of the European Union at the Scuola Sant'Anna in Pisa. In the same year he took part in a Summer School of the Interuniversity Center of Euro-American History and Politics (CISPEA), dedicated to the relations between the United States and the Soviet Union / Russia, directed by Prof. Tiziano Bonazzi. After this, thanks to his active participation in the school, Curci was asked to join the board of "C’era una volta l’America" (CUVLA), the CISPEA blog dedicated to scientifical dissemination about the history and politics of the US. With CISPEA he participated in radio broadcasts and then became co-director of the blog. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in 2015 at the University of Pisa with a research thesis on Woody Guthrie under the supervision of Professor Arnaldo Testi. During the Bachelor's and the Master's degree Curci received the "DSU Toscana" scholarship for merit.
Conference and Lectures:
-8-10/03/2023: Liminalità e banditismo nell’autobiografia di Nat Love (Black) American Cowboy, International Conference “Altri Briganti. Immaginari del fuorilegge in età contemporanea” [Other Brigands. Imaginaries of the outlaw in the contemporary age], part of the Prin (projects of significant national interest) “Il brigantaggio rivisitato” [banditry revisited], Università di Bari.
- 13/02/2023: Gli Amish, le destra religiosa e il voto repubblicano [Amish, Christian Right and the Republican vote]; contribution to doctoral teaching (research seminar), Università di Siena.
- 25/11/2022: Public Sphere or Private Sphere? Propaganda and Gender relations in Woody Guthrie’s World War II Songs, Université Paris – Est Créteil, research center IMAGER, working group CIMMA
- 20/05/2022: Sally Don’t You Grieve, There’s a Better World a – Comin’: propaganda e rapporti di genere nelle canzoni di Woody Guthrie della Seconda guerra mondiale [Sally Don’t You Grieve, There’s a Better World a – Comin’: gender and propaganda in Woody Guthrie’s songs from the Second World War] at the Conference “Professionisti in un mondo ingombrante. Figure professionali di fronte a nuove sfide dall’antichità all’età contemporanea” [Professionals in a Cumbersome World. Professional Figures Facing New Challenges from Antiquity to the Contemporary Age], Università degli Studi di Firenze – Università di Siena, Firenze.
- 07/04/2022: Guerra in Ucraina: una prospettiva storica [Ukraine at War: an Historical Perspective],
PhD Seminar (Organization, Introduction and coordination), Università degli Studi di Firenze –
Università di Siena, Firenze.
- 22/04/2021: Discorso di chiusura della giornata: Giulio Regeni, l’Egitto e l’Italia [Closing Speech:
Giulio Regeni, Egypt and Italy]; Università di Pisa – Limes, Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica – Limes Club Pisa; Pisa.
- Il crollo dell’Unione Sovietica: tra lunga durata, democrazia e jihadismo [The Fall of the Soviet Union: between long-term, democracy and jihadism], “Il Pensiero Mazziniano”, September - December 2021, N.3, pp. 84 – 96.
- Il faro del mondo? La crisi dentro la democrazia americana e i suoi riflessi internazionali [The Lighthouse of the World? The Crisis Within American Democracy and its international repercussions], “Il Pensiero Mazziniano”, January – April 2021, N.1, pp. 115 – 132.
- Al di là della linea del colore? La creazione dell’identità nell’autobiografia di Nat Love [Beyond the Color Line? Identy Creation in Nat Love’s Autobiography], “Acoma, Rivista di Studi Nord-Americani”, 2021, N.20, pp. 167 – 182.